Other Names of Surgery:
- Reduction mammoplasty
- Breast Reduction Surger
The aim of this surgery is to decrease the volume of the breasts and give it an adequate shape in those women with breast hypertrophy. Breast hypertrophy is a condition characterized by the presence of a large bust that causes aesthetic dissatisfaction or other discomfort such as back pain, difficulty dressing and other problems in daily life.
The surgery consists of resecting skin, fat and mammary gland, placing the areola-nipple complex at the height that corresponds aesthetically and achieve a suitable volume and shape. There are different techniques which are used depending on the characteristics of each patient.
You are a good candidate for breast reduction surgery if you have one or more of the following conditions:
- Breasts too large in proportion to their body constitution.
- Fallen and heavy bust, with areolas and nipples pointing down.
- One breast is bigger than the other.
- Back, neck or shoulder pain caused by overweight of the bust.
- Irritation of the skin below the bust.
- Sink marks on the skin of your shoulders due to the bra straps.
- Limitation of physical activities due to the size and breasts of the bust.
- Nonconformity with bust size.
Breast reduction can be performed at any age, however Dr. Camberos usually recommends waiting until the bust is fully developed. Pregnancy and breastfeeding can unpredictably affect the size and shape of the breasts.
The goal of your plastic surgeon and the entire medical team is to make your operation experience as comfortable as possible.